Gwinnett Medical Center Inpatient Medical Group
The Inpatient Medical Group provides care to the hospitalized patients of GMC and GMC–Duluth. The service is available 24-hours a day, seven days a week. The group accepts referrals from primary care practices, provides medical consults as requested and covers patients in need of admission from the Emergency Department who do not have a primary care physician. Our inpatient physicians, or “hospitalists,” have completed training in internal medicine and many have additional subspecialty training. GMC’s hospitalists allow primary care physicians the ability to focus on outpatient or office-based care while referring hospitalized patients’ care to a team of hospitalists.
If a patient is referred by a physician, we will:
- Keep your referring physician updated on your condition and treatment plans
- Obtain needed documentation from your physician’s office
- Furnish documentation and your care plan to your physician upon your discharge
- Refer any follow-up care needs to your personal physician
If a patient is referred by the ER, we will:
- Keep you updated on your condition and treatment plans
- Involve you in decision regarding your care
- Make arrangements for consultation with subspecialists, if necessary
- Refer you to a GMC physician upon your discharge and provide that physician with your records
- Refer any follow-up care needs to the referred physician or other physician of your choice
Palliative care is the area of medicine focused on reducing symptoms to improve quality of life. Our palliative care division helps patients preserve their dignity and comfort in the face of complex medical illnesses. While often thought of as care for patients approaching the end of life, palliative care is appropriate for many patients with chronic illnesses. Palliative care can help them with medical decision-making and prepare for advancing illness.
Murtaza Cassoobhoy, MD, Palliative Care Director
Beth Ziegler, MSN, RN, NPC, Palliative Care
For more information about our services, please call Lawrenceville 678-312-3294 or Duluth 678-312-6984.